Saturday 14 February 2015

One Egyptian Pound



I’m becoming the one Egyptian Pound note. I was born shiny smooth and clean, the magnificent temple of Abu Simbel is adorning one of my faces, while the Complex of Qaitbey is artistically rendered on the other.  These great monuments are surrounded by Ancient Egyptian and Islamic motifs and patterns, not as mere space fillers but as reminders of Egypt’s great pasts and glories.  Artistic Arabic and English Calligraphy indicate my identity, Nationality and even my value. All these patterns and images are laid on a sandy colour, the colour of the great monuments of Egypt but also it’s the colour of its vast deserts, a colour that evokes feelings of pride and depression at the same time.
 What is happening to me, I feel as if I’m dwarfing, I’m no longer the one that can fulfill dreams; people are mocking my value and doubting my existence. But am I really weakening? Am I getting useless? Wasn’t I a goal and even a sort of pride for Egyptians for decades? Haven’t I been competing furiously with other European currencies? Why am I now diminishing by newly born currencies of recently created oil states?
There are no answers and no answer can satisfy my frustration or heal my grief. I’m getting tired; I’m wrinkling, my cuts are stretching and my skin is getting fragile everyday. Thousands of people are abusing me; snatching me rudely from hand to hand and then dipping me carelessly in their sweaty pockets, or throwing me on their dusty desks, with their rough impatient fingers. Teenagers keep doodling on my faces, some writing poetry, sending regards and some just leave their silly nicknames.
Frankly I’m witnessing the decline of my country, the vulgarity of the people and unable to bear all this ugliness. Now every day seems to be a lifetime while waiting to be executed, I’m being used till the last drop of colour on my aging skin and then people burn me happily as for them I’m an unhygienic piece of paper. Anyway I’m hearing that I’m gradually being replaced by a coin, it’s sturdier, more colourful than me but when you look closer you find a lonely sad pharaoh surrounded by a kitsch circular border. OK may be this coin is more suitable for Egyptians now, may be it suits there rough fingers and bad taste.

1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful and truthful description, especially the last words: may be it suits their rough fingers and bad taste.

    ReplyDelete